By Dr. Mansur Hassan
As His Excellency Abba Kabir Yusuf celebrates his 61st birthday, a closer look at the first seven months of his administration reveals remarkable progress and transformation across multiple governance sectors in Kano State. This comprehensive report meticulously outlines the notable achievements accomplished during this period.
Governance and Social Welfare:
- Timely Salary Payments:
- Successfully implemented a policy ensuring prompt salary payments on the 25th of each month, significantly boosting the morale and well-being of the state’s workforce.
- Settling Outstanding NECO Fees:
- Addressed a longstanding concern by clearing the backlog of National Examinations Council (NECO) registration fees left unpaid by the previous government, showcasing a dedication to education.
- Support for Students:
- Provided financial support to 7000 Kano State students at Bayero University Kano, alleviating the financial burden on students and their families and enhancing access to higher education.
- Higher Education Sponsorship:
- Extended commitment to education by sponsoring first-class students for master’s degrees at foreign universities, promoting academic excellence and contributing to a globally competitive workforce.
- Hospital Renovation:
- Took a significant step in healthcare by renovating the Hasiya Bayero Pediatric Hospital, previously sold during the Ganduje administration, ensuring improved healthcare access for Kano’s youngest residents.
- Infrastructure Development:
- Continued the Faculty of Engineering building at Yusuf Maitama Sule University, emphasizing a focus on enhancing education infrastructure and preparing students for technical careers.
- Infrastructure and Security:
- Improved street illumination with functional street lights, contributing to enhanced security and a safer urban environment.
- Sanitation and Management:
- Reinstated the Kano State Refuse Management and Sanitation Board (REMASAB), highlighting commitment to maintaining clean and hygienic surroundings for public health and a better quality of life.
- Infrastructure Rehabilitation:
- Continued the Wuju-Wuju road project, abandoned by the previous government, demonstrating dedication to completing unfinished projects and improving transportation infrastructure.
- Local Development:
- Committed to extending 5 kilometers of roads in each local government, contributing to improved connectivity, accessibility, economic growth, and social development.
Social Services and Security:
- Revival of CRC:
- The return of the Community Reorientation Committee (CRC) echoes an era of proactive governance, respecting citizens’ rights and addressing their concerns, reflecting the approach of the Kwankwaso administration.
- Water Access:
- Reestablished tap water supply across Kano State after an eight-year hiatus, significantly improving the daily lives of citizens by providing a basic necessity.
- Pensioner Support:
- Rectified pension payment issues, ensuring retired public servants lead dignified lives.
- Benefits for Families:
- Approved benefit payments to families of state civil service employees who lost their lives between 2018 and 2023, demonstrating compassion and support for those who sacrificed for the state.
- Enhanced Security:
- The reduction in daily reports of phone snatching incidents indicates an improvement in the state’s security situation, enhancing the safety and well-being of residents.
- Palliatives for Vulnerable Citizens:
- Distributed palliatives worth 1.6 billion naira to needy and vulnerable citizens, signifying the administration’s commitment to addressing immediate challenges and ensuring the welfare of its most disadvantaged citizens.
Signing MoU with NLC and TUC
His Excellency Abba Kabir Yusuf, the Governor of Kano State, has successfully orchestrated a significant achievement by signing a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and the Trade Union Congress (TUC). This strategic collaboration is designed to address the economic hardships faced by civil servants within the state.
Under the terms of the MoU, a commendable palliative measure has been implemented, wherein a N20,000 relief package is extended to all state employees. This initiative emerges in response to the economic challenges exacerbated by the removal of the fuel subsidy. His Excellency’s foresightedness in establishing this agreement underscores his commitment to the well-being and welfare of the workforce in Kano State. This achievement reflects a proactive approach to addressing the economic concerns of the citizens, showcasing a leadership that is responsive to the needs of the people.
- Advocated for a larger share of federal palliatives due to the state’s high population, purchased grains worth N1.6 billion for distribution, and launched agricultural intervention programs.
- Prioritized healthcare by promising automatic employment for the best graduates of Nafisatu College of Nursing Sciences, launching palliatives distribution to 500,000 households, and supporting education for skilled human resources.
- Demonstrated dedication to security by engaging repentant youth in empowerment programs, re-establishing a Security Communication Centre, and launching initiatives for cleanliness and improved healthcare facilities.
- Honored public figures by unveiling a Quranic Research Centre commemorating Sen. Rabi’u Musa Kwankwaso’s 67th birthday.
- Addressing concerns of pensioners, flagged off the settlement of death benefits and gratuity, allocating funds in the state budget for ongoing support.
Security and Social Inclusion:
- Launched a training program for 2,500 corporate security personnel, fulfilling a campaign promise to bolster security and provide job opportunities for the youth.
- Empowered 2,000 people living with disabilities through a distribution of #20,000 each, emphasizing support for all citizens, irrespective of physical disability or economic background.
- Left a lasting imprint on the state’s infrastructure with the foundation laying of multi-billion Naira overpass and underpass projects, including a three-layer interchange bridge and a cloverleaf overpass bridge, to address traffic congestion and stimulate overall socio-economic development.
- Played a pivotal role in reuniting seven abducted children from Bauchi with their parents, expressing gratitude to the Kano State Police Command and emphasizing the need for parental vigilance and decisive legal action against the criminal syndicate involved in child abduction and trafficking.
- Generously donated five hundred thousand naira to each of the seven recovered children, exemplifying commitment to the welfare of the people.
In just seven months, His Excellency Abba Kabir Yusuf’s administration has achieved a multitude of milestones across education, healthcare, infrastructure, social services, and security. These accomplishments underscore a dedicated effort to uplift Kano State and improve the quality of life for its citizens. As the administration moves forward, these achievements provide a robust foundation for continued progress and development.
Mansur Hassan, PhD.